Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Can I leave grass between my soilbeds?

I will have a small residential garden (3 20 ft rows) to start. Is it
OK to leave grass between the rows?

-Bill

Bill & Group:

I consider it a very bad idea for several reasons.
1. How do you water it? If by sprinkling you will also water the vegetables the same way, which wastes much water and encourages weeds, bugs, and diseases.
2. If you don't water it it becomes ugly and unpleasant.
3. Either way it is a haven for bugs and disease.
4. The grass will constantly be invading your soil-beds or Grow-Boxes.

There may be more reasons, but it's late and I've got to call it a day.

Jim Kennard

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left grow between my rows one year and I spent more time working with it than with the rest of the grass in the yard. I have found its easier and look better to have the grass gone and have a mulch cover. It takes away places for the insects to hide and I think any wild animals (rabbits) are a little more cautious about mulches than grass.

Nice article.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home