Saturday, March 22, 2008

Feeding your plants thru the pvc pipes

I am a disabled veteran and hope to be able to produce enough crops to
get off of disability. Unfortunately my check barely covers food and
living expenses so I've not purchased the books. Sorry. I've been
gleaning as much as I can through this group but here's a question I
haven't found an answer to. How can I accurately, or can I accurately
feed the nutrients through the pvc pipes? I have several acres and
hope to create a pick your own farm. That would help me with labor
issues.

p.s. can you tell me where to purchase the Boron and other stuff at
the cheapest price? Once things get going money won't be such a problem.

Bob & Group:

Automating your watering will be very nice, will save water, and make watering much easier and faster.

However, if you think the books are expensive you may need to think twice before you plan on automating the watering for several acres of gardens. That will likely cost a few thousand dollars.

Figure this out: 1 acre = 250 soil-beds 30'-long. That one acre will require 7500' of Schedule 200 PVC pipe, plus fittings and ball valves.

You'll need to drill 67,500 holes for those 250 pipes also, unless you pay someone else to do it. Bud don't despair, they go quickly.

You'll also need 2" main-line piping across the head of your garden, and 1 1/2" pipe in front of each row. Plus you'll need threaded step-down "T's" at each row with threaded risers and threaded elbows.

Where we live that will add up costing some serious money. By the way, I've done this for my Zoo Garden in Salt Lake City, Utah, and it has SURELY been worth it!

To answer your question about the nutrients: Yes you can, if you have a way of introducing the fertilizer concentrate into the pipes. Of course that will also cost some $.

But don't let me discourage you - go for it! You can even find the chapter on automating your watering system - from The Mittleider Gardening Course - in the Store section of the website at www.growfood. com. It's free.

Jim Kennard

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home