Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Correct adjustments to fertilizers other then 20-20-20

Jim,
I have 4 questions:

1. I'm still in El Paso... I can't locate the 16-16-16, 16-8-16
blend. I've only been able to find 13-13-13. I mixed the weekly feed
but I'm not sure if I need to add anything else to bring the numbers up.

2. I mixed the pre-plant but if I remember correctly, when I purchased
this pre-mixed from you, was it blended with fertilizer as well?
Because after adding the 3 ingredients (boron, epson salt and gypsum)
together, it was pretty much a power. Need some help here...

3. I transplanted some romaine lettuce that I purchaced from the store
into my 5 gal (prepared) buckets I use for my garden. I also
fertilized with the weekly feed only the plants are turning brown and
dying. It's not hot here yet and I had no problem last year with the
lettuce. However, I was using a 16-16-16 fertilizer.

4. Started tomatoes from seed. They just started coming up but the
initial leaves breaking the surface are turning yellow almost
immediately. This has never happened before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,


Group:
1. You can use 13-13-13 with the Micro-Mix the way it is and it's not bad. You might need to give your plants an extra feeding during the growing season.

2. The pre-mixed fertilizer we sell through the stores in Utah, Idaho and wyoming contains some NPK as well. If you want to mix a batch, just mix together the following:

10# - 34-0-0 or 16# 21-0-0, 25# - 0-45-0, 25# - 0-0-60, 1# Epsom Salt, 1/5# Solubor (boron), and 115# gypsum.

3. The problem with your lettuce might have to do with drainage, the amount of fertilizer you're using, or even a disease or something else. I'm sorry I can't tell you better. The difference between 16-16-16 and 13-13-13 should NOT be the source of your problem, if you're using the same amounts.

4. How's the drainage in your seedling flats? Do your flats have good direct sunlight? What is the amount of Weekly Feed that you're using in your Constant Feed solution? It should be only 1 ounce in 3 gallons of water.

Jim Kennard
__._,_.___

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home