Thursday, April 10, 2008

Companion planting yes or no?

I want to grow 1000 tomato plants using the Mittleiter method,
interspersing another 1000 basil and a handful of good
companion plants such as garlic, onion, marigold, melon...

(We don't recommend companion planting at all - JK)

How many grow boxes should I make to fit them all?

I know the formula for 'normal' agriculture is nine square
feet for each plant, but I figure using this method, I will
need a lot less space, right?

(25 18"-wide Grow-Boxes of 30' in length will grow 1,000 tomato plants. This would require 3,750 square feet of garden space.

If you use 4'-wide beds you can plant 2 rows in 7 1/2' width, giving you 1,000 plants in 2,812 square feet of garden space.

Of course in order to do this you have to grow those plants vertically, and we recommend the use of T-Frames to do that.

Jim Kennard
__._,_.___

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home