Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How can I make my own Mittleider method fertilizer

I am a farmer from the philippines and will be using completely the
mittleider method. I just downloaded a copy of the Mittleider
Gardening Course and I'm also using an old Mittleider book, Grow-Bed
Gardening.

before I will fully implement this system, I have some questions
regarding fertilization. I hope you won't mind.

1. MITTLEIDER FORMULA. I am having a hard time looking for phosphorus
because this is not widely sold in my place. So I have decided to use 14-14-14. the problem is how much of 14-14-14 should I mix in relation to the other ingredients like calcium nitrate, boron, iron copper and the rest? by the way, aside from P I can't find Molybdenum either.

(I recommend you buy a package or two of the Micro-Nutrients available on the website at www.growfood. com, then mix one packet with 20# of the 14-14-14 and 3# of Epsom Salt for a good Weekly Feed mix - JK)

2. CONSTANT FEED SOLUTION. I am planning to try this system to my two
grow boxes measuring 4'X28'X8". in my old book, it says I will be
using around 450grams of the weekly feed thus my two boxes will be
requiring 900 grams. I intend to mix this amount in my 30 gallon tank
and feed my plants once a week. however, I also read about 1 ounce per gallon of water solution every time you water. I really do not know what to follow now. what is the recommended rate in fertigation
technique and the frequency of application?

(Do not mix the fertilizers with water and feed that concentrated mix to your plants once per week. It is too strong and you will burn your plants!

For a 4 X 28' box you should apply 28 ounces (800 grams) of Weekly Feed and 56 ounces (1,600 grams) of Pre-Plant Mix to the soil and mix it in BEFORE planting. Then each week apply 14 ounces (400 grams) of Weekly Feed to the top of the soil in the middle of two rows of plants - twice, since you should have 4 rows of plants in your 4'-wide box - and then water them into the soil.

You use the Constant Feed solution of 12 ounces (340 grams) Weekly Feed in 30 gallons of water and water with it daily, but this is usually only done when growing seedlings - not in the garden - JK).

3. PAPAYA, BANANA AND ASPARAGUS. I have these plants in my farm but
the two references I have do not have the specific method of feeding
them. can you please give the exact amount to feed and frequency so I
will enjoy the benefits of the Mittleider system in my farm.

(To be able to assist you in feeding your Papaya and Banana plants I need to know their size and how many months it takes the variety you're growing to reach maturity and produce a harvest. Asparagas usually is fed 3 or 4 times for each harvest - JK).

By the way, I used the temporary fertilizer mix and it is doing wonders in some of flowers. That is why I have decided to fully embrace this system.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for turning me on to this system, I've never heard of it before. I'm going to do some research and post a blog about.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home