Sunday, June 03, 2007

Staking and pruning tomatoes correctly

My tomatoes are staked and doing great. I have a question concerning tying up the tomato stems - do I do just the main stem or all of the big stems?I tied up all the big stems to get them off the ground using "staking tape".

I hope most of you did a bit more reading before your tomatoes got to the pruning stage (9-12" tall).There should only be "the main stem". All sucker stems are to be removed as soon as they start to grow. This assures you a very large harvest from every plant - which are planted only about 9" apart - and grown up a baling twine string or tied to tall stakes.Leaving many stems on a tomato plant produces an unweildy mass of leaves and branches, and MUCH less mature fruit.Jim Kennard

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home