Monday, October 05, 2009

PVC pipe hole size how big is needed?

Irrigation System

I am in the process of beginning to start work on the irrigation part
of my conversion to the MittleiderMethodGardening. I would like to ask
if the small #57 holes in the pvc pipes present any special trouble
with stopping up?

Group:

A #57 hole in a Schedule 200 PVC pipe will not plug up much at all, if you are
using water from a well or from the city system, etc. If you use irrigation
water from a canal or stream you may have some sediment that can clog the holes.

I water from a mountain stream that is sometimes quite dirty - especially in the
spring and after a hard rain. If I experience any clogging of the holes in my
pipes I just carry a hoe with me and hit the pipe with the hoe HANDLE a few
times. This will dislodge the tiny pieces of pebble, or whatever it is.
Immediately after doing this to a pipe I will unscrew the far end-cap and let
the water run through for a few seconds, flushing any loose residue out the end
of the pipe.

If any of you are tempted to use Schedule 40 PVC pipe, because "its stronger and
will last longer", etc., I don't recommend it. It's usually more than double
the cost, heavier, much harder to drill the holes (breaking drill bits),
more inclined to plug up, harder to break loose the blockage with the
hose-handle, and even the Schedule 200 will last more than 20 years with any
kind of care, so who needs it to last longer.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home