Monday, September 29, 2008

Storing water for the garden and future use

With the economic situation I think we should all stockup on everything

We have a number of 55 gallon barrels with water, but I feel
less than totally secure drinking out of them, and using chemicals, etc. to
treat it is almost worse. If we were without gas and power, boiling could
be a problem, although I have a solar oven that can not only be used to cook
(I have made meals and baked bread in it.), but one could boil/sterilize
water in it as well. When we were without water at the house for a few days,
I used water from the larger containers to flush toilets and clean things
(chlorox is pretty good at killing any microbes), and I had boxes of two
liter soda bottles I had rinsed out and filled with water. I just filled
them with tap, but sealed up, the chlorine from the tap water couldn't
evaporate, so it was perfectly o.k. as drinking water and didn't taste bad.
Of course, storing seeds to sprout can be a source of fresh vegetables even
in the winter when your garden may be dormant. Sprouts tend to have a lot of
vitamins, minerals and key enzymes you may not get in stored food, and some
sprouts, like soybeans can be refrigerated after they get big enough to eat
and will continue to increase in vitamin C for several days in the
refrigerator.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home