Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mittleider gardening in extreme heat

I live in the desert of Arizona, so our climates are probably pretty much the same. Right now is the time to plant kale, chard, spinach, collards, lettuce, mesclun mix (which is a great market crop), cilantro, parsley, carrots, turnips, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, mizuna and other oriental greens. Check out your local county co-operative extension office for more ideas of crops. I have a combination of grow boxes and grow beds. The dirt is full of caliche here, so my root vegetables I do in the boxes. The boxes are an investment at first, but I like them better as they are easier to use from year to year - less digging with a shovel. Try planting some rainbow chard, purple and yellow carrots, unique vegetables that do well at a market and you can't find in the grocery stores.
Good luck.


I inherited my grandmothers farm last year. Lived in cities all my
life when not overseas military so don't know squat about gardening.
Being on disability (woke from a coma 2002) I have limited resources.
This first garden got beat up by the sun. Squash and watermelon made
it along with tomatoes (just barely) but nothing else. Coyotes got
into the melons bad. Want to grow some food to eat and possibly sell
to help stretch the budget. Any suggestions on what will grow out here?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home